Detail Of Terrorism Update
Thursday, March 22, 2018


Three militants killed in encounter in Jammu and Kashmir

Three top militants were killed in an encounter at Hakoora area of Anantnag District early on March 12, reports Daily Excelsior. On the basis of the specific inputs about the presence of militants inside a residential house in the village, the Special Operations Group (SOG) of Jammu and Kashmir Police, Army, and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) cordoned off Hakoora village at around 12:30 am. As the searches were conducted some warning shots were fired towards the house where the militants were hiding. Three militants tried to break the cordon and opened fire upon the Security Forces (SFs). SFs retaliated triggering a brief gun battle in which three militants were killed. Three AK-47 rifles were recovered from the deceased militants, who belonged to Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen (TuM) and Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) outfits. Two of the militants have been identified as Mohammad Esha Fazili alias Esha Roohula of Soura area of Srinagar and Syed Owais Shafi of Voiloo in Kokernag. The identity of the third militant is being ascertained, However, Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen identified him as Sabzar Ahmad Sofi.

Esha Fazili was student of Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah University (BGSBU), where he was doing B Tech. He left the studies last year (2017) and joined militancy. Syed Owais Shafi had completed B Tech from the same University and joined the militancy in November 2017. A Police spokesman said “In the process arms and ammunition which include AK 47 rifles, pistols, hand grenades etc were recovered from the encounter site. Further in the incident, no collateral damage has taken place”. “It is pertinent to mention here that among the killed militants, one was involved in a recent attack on a police guard post at Soura in which one police constable had attained martyrdom. In this connection, a case has been registered and investigation has been started under the relevant provisions of the law by the police”, the spokesman said.

The Times of Indiaadds that one of the three terrorist killed in the encounter was ‘emir’ of Islamic State (IS) in Jammu and Kashmir, Eisa Fazili alias Abu Yahya al Istashadi. The IS ‘commander’, Abu Yahya, was a top target for SFs in the last six months. The other two have been identified as Syed Owais Shafi alias Abu Barra al Kashmiri and Sultan al Hyderabadi alias Abu Zarr al Hindi. The trio was earlier affiliated to groups like the TuM and HM but had pledged allegiance to Islamic State (ISJK) last year (2017). They are part of a small but significant number of terrorists who have left groups like HM, Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) or Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) to declare their allegiance to IS. The group sees Hurriyat as “compromised” politicians and its online propagation is resulting in a steady stream of recruits. IS confirmed their “martyrdom” on its Telegram channels on March 12. “Blessed night for bless brothers.. Brother Abu Yahya, Abu Barra and Abu Zarr got what they desired.. Blessed Shahdah (inshallah)... Yesterday in an encounter with the Mishrik Indian Army and apostate Kashmiri Police at Islamabad district of Indian Kshmir,” the message said. In December, pro-IS media channel al-Qaraar had released a video identifying Abu Yahya as the “emir of Kashmir”.

Authorities imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar including old city on March 12 morning after the killing of Esha Fazili, one of the militants who belonged to Soura area of Srinagar, adds Daily Excelsior. Apprehending law and order problems in the old city, restrictions were imposed in the Police Station areas of Maharajgunj, Safakadal, Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar and Soura as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order. Despite restrictions, large numbers of people participated in the funeral prayers of Mohammad Esha Fazili and Owais Shafi at their native places in the afternoon. When the body was taken to the funeral, scores of youth attacked CRPF camp with stones following which deployments of Police and paramilitary forces fired teargas shells to disperse the protesters. The ding-dong battles continued for several hours. Earlier, clashes erupted in many parts of Srinagar where most of the shops remained closed throughout the day. Commercial hub Lal Chowk also wore a deserted look. Clashes also erupted at main town Shopian, Larnow, Kokernag, Khanabal, Anantnag, Qoimoh, Kulgam, Lazibal and Bijbehra. Several youths, according to reports, suffered minor injuries in the clashes.

Meanwhile, a shepherd was killed in a mysterious blast in Awantipora area of Pulwama District on March 12, reports Daily Excelsior. The shepherd, identified as Ashiq Hussain Chopan son of Ghulam Mohammad of Gutroo, Tral suffered serious injuries in the explosion at upper reaches of Awantipora forests near Barsoo adjacent to Army’s Victor Force headquarter. The shepherd was immediately shifted to a nearby hospital in the unconscious state where doctors declared him as brought dead.

Separately, Police arrested three teenage boys and father of a boy at Manchowa locality on March 11 night, reports Daily Excelsior. The arrested boys were identified as Adnan Farooq (17), a 12th class student, Ashraf Ahmad (18), a 12th class student of SP Higher Secondary and Suhail Ahmad (13), a resident of Kupwara and 8th class student of prime public school Baghat. Wani and Suhail are putting up in Bag-e-Mehtab on rent. Police also arrested Mushtaq Ahmad Magray, father of a youth in absence of his son Muntazir of Magraypora Manchowa. A group of protesters blocked Alamdar Srinagar Chrar-e-Sharief road near Railway Bridge Bagh-e-Mehtab in protest against these arrests. The traffic halted for some time but later resumed peacefully.

Earlier, Police also arrested wanted stone-pelter known as Maya, a resident of Manochow along with another youth two days ago in separate raids.