Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
    Click to Enlarge

Terrorism-related Incidents in Lahore - 2006





November 17

20 people were injured when an explosive device, weighing one kilogram, planted in a dustbin at a bus stand on Ferozpur Road exploded a day before the arrival of President Pervez Musharraf in the city. The Lahore Police had initially claimed that two people were killed and another 13 injured in the explosion, but retracted the statement later. Additional Inspector General of Police (Punjab) Khawaja Khalid Farooq said the bomb was similar to the one that exploded in Liberty Market on August 29, 2006, in which four people were killed.


November 11

Abdullah Mujahid, a founding member of the Jama’at-ud-Da’awa (the Lashkar-e-Toiba [LeT] front) and close associate of its chief Hafiz Saeed, was killed in the Taj Bagh area. Mujahid’s family and lawyer lodged a complaint with the police of murder during robbery, while LeT activists claimed that the incident was an act of terrorism.


August 29

Four people were injured after a bomb exploded in a busy market in the Gulberg area. The device had been planted between two cars parked outside a shoe store in the Liberty Market area. Capital City Police Chief Khawaja Khalid Farooq said close-circuit cameras had recorded two young men roaming near the site just before the explosion.


August 29

Authorities detained Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, chief of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), an hour after he was released following a court ruling that his detention was illegal. Saeed was first placed under house arrest on August 10, but the Lahore High Court ordered his release on August 28, saying the Government had not provided sufficient evidence to justify his detention.


August 10

The Punjab Government reportedly put LeT chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed under house arrest for one month at his house in Lahore, two days ahead of a public meeting he was scheduled to address in the city. "We have orders from the government to detain the Dawa [Jama’at-ud-Da’awa] leader," said the city police chief Khwaja Khalid Farooq. Police sources said Saeed had planned to hold a public meeting on August 12 at Minar-i-Pakistan in connection with the Independence Day.


February 13

Dr Ahmad Javed Khwaja, who had been detained for four months in 2002 on charges of alleged links with al Qaeda, was shot dead at Manawan. His cousin Khwaja Tanvir Ahmad said Dr. Ahmed was en route to his clinic when two unidentified gunmen riding a motorcycle opened fire on him and sped away. "It is a target killing," said Lahore Police chief Chaudhry Shafqaat Ahmad.






Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.