Terrorism Update
Show/Hide Search
    Click to Enlarge

Aerial Attacks by the SLAF on LTTE targets, 2007

December 26: Naval troops supported by the Air Force foiled a LTTE boat movement comprising 16 Sea-Tiger boats from Vedithalthivu in the north of Mannar to Delft Islands destroying six of the outfit's boats, including two suicide boats, and killed at least 40 militants on board, the Navy said. One of the 12 FAC of the Navy that were engaged in the operation too sustained heavy damage during the sea battle. At least 12 sailors on board the FAC were reported missing after the incident.

December 19: The Government confirmed that the LTTE chief Velupillai Prabhakaran was injured in an aerial strike by the SLAF on a hideout in Kilinochchi on November 26.

November 2: S. P. Thamilselvan, political wing leader of the LTTE and its de-facto number two, was killed in a SLAF air strike at Thiruvaiaru, three kilometres south of Kilinochchi, around 6am on 'very reliable information', identifying the location as a meeting place of LTTE leaders. Simultaneously the fighter jets also targeted a Black Tiger camp in the East of Iranamadu. Five other leaders 'Lt. Col.' Anpumani alias Alex, 'Major' Mihuthan, 'Major' Nethagy, 'Lieutenant' Adchgivel and 'Lieutenant' Vahakai Kumaran were also killed in the air strike. Their meeting place was confirmed as an international communications centre run by 'Lt. Col' Alex. It was also a centre for logistics, arms procurement, fund raising and operational matters.

October 29: The SLAF fighter jets targeted a camp of LTTE intelligence wing leaders north of Puthukkudiyiruppu in the Mullaitivu District, said the SLAF Group Captain Ajantha Silva.

October 24: SLAF fighter crafts carried out two air strikes on LTTE targets at Pannichchankulam in the Mullaitivu District. One LTTE training center where the outfit used to train Black-Tigers (suicide cadres) was completely destroyed in the attack.

April 18: The Defence Ministry stated that a SLAF attack on a LTTE training base at Vattappalai village in the Mullaitivu District on April 17 may have killed or wounded as many as 70 LTTE cadres. Lt. Col. Upali Rajapakse of the Defence Ministry's information centre, citing visuals taken from the air, said, "The base of the LTTE suffered major damage due to our bombing… Generally 60 to 70 (guerrillas) live in such bases and we believe that they have died or (been) wounded due to the bombing and resulting explosions." However, LTTE spokesperson Rasiah Ilanthirayan denied the Government report, saying "no training camp was hit" and there were no casualties.






Copyright © 2001 SATP. All rights reserved.